There are THREE Scoring Strands consistent for Each Grade Level in Each State in America.
Erik Cork ALIGNS his nationally recognized Cork's Coast-to-Coast Classroom: Rebuilding the Writing Foundation with State Writing Standards & The Scoring Rubric / Test Matrix and INCORPORATES Particular State ELA Objectives into his highly-engaging, interactive writing presentation of Essential Knowledge & Skills for Students & Professional Staff.
This interactive & participatory Full-Day Writing Workshop is a celebration of English/Language Arts.
Mr. Cork enthusiastically showcases the nuts & bolts of the writing process, as well as the essential tools required for ELA mastery and the joyful discovery of each young scholar's unique voice as they pour it into their dynamic essays.
Mr. Cork addresses ORGANIZATION / PROGRESSION by
- emphasizing to students throughout the entire workshop presentation various methods of how to STICK TO THE TOPIC
- exceeding the simplistic mantra of "Beginning, Middle & End" that students often hear repeatedly from their teachers
- outlining strategies for NARRATIVE SETTINGS, SEQUENTIAL ORDER of EVENTS, SUMMARY and CLOSING
- providing TRANSITIONAL WORDS and PHRASES to keep compositions FLOWING FLUIDLY and INTELLIGENTLY
- advocating for STRUCTURE INDENTED PARAGRAPHS and PURPOSEFUL PUNCTUATION PAUSES
- demonstrating WELL-CONTROLLED SENTENCE-TO-SENTENCE CONNECTIONS and CONSISTENCY
- guiding young geniuses through multiple writing modes by use of GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS
Mr. Cork addresses DEVELOPMENT OF IDEAS by
- instilling the CONFIDENCE that brings memories alive and leads to the COMPLETION OF A COMPOSITION
- unveiling the PROCESS of TRANSFERRING THOUGHTS from their brains - through their pencil - onto their paper
- showing students how to ADD SEASONING, FLAVOR and SPICE to their sentences and to their imagination
- connecting SUPPORTING DETAILS, RELEVANT EXAMPLES and CONVINCING FACTS to their UNIQUE VOICE
- teaching students to ENHANCE THEIR ESSAYS by inserting and employing CLEVERLY CRAFTED DIALOGUE
- inspiring writers to TAKE READERS BY THE HAND and take them on tours through a WELL-CONTROLLED PLAN
- discovering new opportunities to use ADVANCED LITERARY DEVICES, such as SIMILIES and METAPHORS
Mr. Cork addresses USE OF LANGUAGE / CONVENTIONS by
- reviewing the 14 CAPITALIZATION RULES and 14 PUNCTUATION OPPORTUNITIES
- discussing the difference between EDITING & REVISION, and NEVER FALLING IN LOVE WITH A FIRST DRAFT
- empowering students with VIVID VOCABULARY OPTIONS and establishing A LOVE AFFAIR WITH WORDS
- diving into the depths of APPROPRIATE GRAMMAR vs. drowning in a sea of SLANG & CYBERSPACE SHORTCUTS
- dusting off the ancient art of MASTERING THE 8 PARTS OF SPEECH and UNTESTED ELA ESSENTIALS
- polishing up to the paper, MAKING PRINCIPALS PROUD and COMPELLING PARENTS TO POST on refrigerators
- searing smiles on the faces of pupils who learn that LEARNING and WRITING does not have to be blah & boring